Re: making mail traceable

2004-01-21 10:53:57

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Keith Moore wrote:

    > My current thinking is I don't want to tightly couple the message
    > direclty to a person, even in an ephemeral way.

    I don't really like doing that either.  But I don't think the
    granularity of "site" is good enough to identify and marginalize
    spammers - actually experience with trying to blacklist sites (or IP
    address blocks associated with sites) IMHO indicates that it is not
    good enough for this purpose.

    Also, for lots of reasons I don't think that giving law enforcement a
    way to track down spammers is a desirable way to solve the spam
    problem.  It would get the government too involved in mediating
    people's communications, it would invite favoritism, it would require
    too many LE resources, and for that reason it would be hard to limit
    abuse.  I'd far rather find a way for the net to be self-policing by
    allowing recipients (or recipient sites) to marginalize spammers
    without actually finding out who the spammers are.  Of course, for
    serious infractions of the law, LE will still be able to trace
    originator-ids to the actual people who sent the messages - I don't see
    any way of avoiding this.

I hadn't put the pieces together quite this way before but I like it.
It makes sense to me.

We agree.  Thanks,

Jim