Re: MUA Mail Options for a Mailing List [was Re: non-member messages to lists]

2004-10-14 09:12:49

In <001701c4b0d1$562e60f0$6401a8c0(_at_)hdev1> "Hector Santos"
<winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com> writes:

The problem as I see it is that we have a standard for 1-1 (direct) email
messages, but no standard for a list distribution to handle the above two
reply options.  I can see this in comparison with the list server handling
this IETF-2822 list and our list server.  Both are doing slighty things in
preparing headers so that the two actions are slightly different.

In one case (the list server used here), the "Reply to Sender" will go to
the author.  In our list server, the "Reply to Sender" goes to the list
address.

I guess the difference is that we make sure the "Reply-To:" address is
properly set in the distribution.

Is that more correct?

Many lists set Reply-To in that way, but the general wisdom, as
promulgated in various FAQs, is that it is a Bad Thing. The chief reason
for that is that it mucks up the case where you really DO want to reply
individually to the author (a few MUAs have a "Reply-to-From-address"
button which sort-of gets around the problem).

So the solution that has been suggested (and implemented in some places)
is to have a Mail-Followup-To header (MFT) in addition to Reply-To. So the
"Reply(-to-Sender)" button sends it to the Reply-To address, and the
"Reply-To-List" button sends it to the MFT address. (What the Reply-to-All
button does is not clear and would need discussion).

Several people have expressed broad satisfaction with the MFT idea (modulo
working out the precise details), but a couple of regulars on this list
seem violently opposed to it, so there we are.

If this makes sense with all, I can begin with the following:

a) Does a MUA need to detect a Mailing List Message as oppose to a just a
pure email message?

Yes. The presence of some of the List-* headers should do that, but
different mailing list expanders add different subsets of them (including
none at all).

b) If so, what headers can assist the MUA to detect a mailing list message?

See above.

c) What are the most desirable reply/new mail options for a mailing list?

   Reply to List (very similar to a news Reply To Group idea)?
   Reply to Directly to Author?
   Reply to All?

I think that is the minimum collection that is needed. But too many would
just cause more confusion.

Is that enough?  How about follow ups?

   Follow up to List?
   Follow up directly to author?
   Follow up to all?

Does that make sense?

It is not clear what you intend those ones to do.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.