Re: ABNF

2005-05-20 13:09:00

 However, like so many ideas, the real question is whether the community
 requires it, thereby justifying the effort to invent the solution and
 rev the specification.

 You have missed the point(s):
 1. As written, parsing ABNF requires arbitrarily-large lookahead
 2. Because of the ambiguity, a parser which appears to be parsing ABNF
 (as that is specified) may in fact be parsing a different grammar (one
 without that ambiguity), and would not be suitable as a fully-conforming
 implementation for the purpose of advancement of the specification to
 Draft status.

Well, yes, those sound pretty serious. So serious, that I'm sure there is a
strong community desire to have changes made.

Unfortunately, I have not noticed community support for your assessment.  So
the rest of the community does not share your views.

  d/
  ---
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking