Re: mail-followup-to / mail-copies-to

2005-05-26 15:39:09

On Thu May 26 2005 16:26, Paul Jakma wrote:

However, if I would suggest this "list-reply" functionality should be
taken as "reply in a list context"

One problem is defining precisely what that means, in a way which is
likely to reach consensus.

This MUA also ignores From/Reply-To when "reply in list context" is
used.

That strikes me as equivalent to saying "screw you, I'm going to
completely ignore your stated request as well as the relevant standards
and do something different for spite".

"Only to list" really has to mean "only to list".  If there were a
hypothetical way for a message originator to cause a recipient's
MUA to do something else for "reply only to list", matters would be
far worse than now (I think Keith Moore made that observation last
year).

I would disagree that the list-reply functionality of some MUAs means
"reply /only/ to list". One of more popular MUA which implements
list-reply supports this view (as it will take MFT into
consideration).

The problem with that is that it leads to nasty surprises; an invisible
(non-standard, not displayed) header field changes the way a function
works, with no warning to the user.

As you point out above, Reply-To would suggest a preference for both
'public' and 'private' replies, which is /not/ quite the preference I
/really/ want to indicate to others, or anyone else like me who
prefers to receive direct copies on list replies and any subsequent
replies in a thread. (And the difference is critical to me, even if i
fail to convince anyone here of the need for extra standards work, I
wont be using Reply-To, because of limitations/dangers in its use in
a list context).

Beware of some things that you may read; there are bogus claims that
"Reply-To prevents direct responses to an author" -- that is simply
untrue.  A moment's thought should convince you that given a message: