Re: mail-followup-to / mail-copies-to

2005-05-25 04:31:48

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Charles Lindsey wrote:

It was discussed extensively on this list some months back, but died because two people were opposed to the idea (for diametrically opposed reasons), although many people were happy with it in principle.

Well personally I think Mail-Followup-To is problematic.

For sure, I agree that using Reply-To is a pretty poor substitute for
doing the job properly.

Yeah, it definitely it is.

So what it needs is for someone to sit down and write an internet draft for the Mail-Followup-To header. There was a draft published some years ago by Jacob Palme which could form a basis, though it was not quite right as it stood. I would be willing to cooperate in such a venture, but I don't have the resources to edit such a draft at the moment.

I am willing to do whatever it takes to solve this problem.

Slowly but surely MUAs and email list users are changing "reply to list" (which is not specified in 822 AIUI, just reply-all) into "reply to just the list".

The List-* headers made this possible. We need some header to allow include-me-on-list-replies preference to be expressed, just as the List-* headers allow MUAs to 'pick' which address is the list address.

Personally, I like the Mail-Copies-To idea.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      paul(_at_)clubi(_dot_)ie        paul(_at_)jakma(_dot_)org
Key ID: 64A2FF6A