Re: mail-followup-to / mail-copies-to

2005-05-26 16:27:43

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Bruce Lilly wrote:

On Thu May 26 2005 16:26, Paul Jakma wrote:

However, if I would suggest this "list-reply" functionality should be
taken as "reply in a list context"

One problem is defining precisely what that means, in a way which is
likely to reach consensus.

Agreed.

I think by looking at what MUAs do, one could define that context.

The fact that already several MUAs (popular ones at that, thunderbird, apple mail, and mutt) /do/ do see fit to provide a "list context", in addition to the long standing "reply" and "reply to all" contexts, suggests there may be value in distinguishing this context from others.

That strikes me as equivalent to saying "screw you, I'm going to completely ignore your stated request as well as the relevant standards and do something different for spite".

Ha! To an extent, I'd agree - and it's definitely caused me problems. However, just complaining about it though isn't productive, because the Mutt developers (and its users) do seem to feel it solves a problem.

And it /does/ for mutt. If I were to use Mutt and configure MFT for all the various lists, I'd generally be happy - except when non-Mutt users replied to me.

So I'd like to try help fix that, somehow, even if it's no more than clarifying best practice in some way. However, note that I /agree/ "list context reply" should /not/ consider Reply-To, for if it did, that would imply it should also consider "From", which obviously isnt the idea.

I would disagree that the list-reply functionality of some MUAs means "reply /only/ to list". One of more popular MUA which implements list-reply supports this view (as it will take MFT into consideration).

The problem with that is that it leads to nasty surprises; an invisible
(non-standard, not displayed) header field changes the way a function
works, with no warning to the user.

I don't quite agree with MFT either. Please don't take the fact that I have this header in my mails as a sign I agree with it - it's there for least-worst reasons.

Beware of some things that you may read; there are bogus claims that "Reply-To prevents direct responses to an author" -- that is simply untrue. A moment's thought should convince you that given a message: