Re: mail-followup-to / mail-copies-to

2005-05-24 17:28:02

Hi Bruce,

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Bruce Lilly wrote:

The Reply-To header field will do what you want.  It is specifically
designed to indicate a list of addresses for responses (RFC 2822):

  When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
  indicates the mailbox(es) to which the author of the message suggests
  that replies be sent.

So, in your case, setting
would have indicated your stated preference.

Hmm, possibly yes.

This has been discussed in detail some months ago on the ietf-822 list.

Ah. would you be able to say roughly when? (or what the subject line may have contained?).

I have read of short descriptions of the problem, eg:

http://pm-doc.sourceforge.net/pm-tips-body.html#replyto_header

Which refers to the subtle distinction of interpreting Reply-To as the direction for a 'full' reply.

That distinction is possibly far too subtle though. If there is a distinction in how Reply-To should be interpreted between 'reply-all' and 'reply-author' MUA functionality, then for the latter, which of the From or multiple Reply-To mailboxes should a respondent use?

Would you know the answer, or be able to direct me to it?

I'm sceptical the Reply-To approach would work - I think i'll try an experiment and see how it works in practice.

For an older description of the field and its uses, see RFC 822 section
4.4.3, and note that a mailing list is "text message teleconferencing".

Ah, indeed.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      paul(_at_)clubi(_dot_)ie        paul(_at_)jakma(_dot_)org
Key ID: 64A2FF6A