Re: SMTP option for DHCPv6

2005-05-27 08:34:15

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Eric A. Hall wrote:

Another point of difficulty here is that DHCP is mostly geared towards
"host configuration" and not to "user-specific configuration". This has
some security implications in application layer software--you may not want
anonymous guest users using your mail server, or your mail server may
require authentication (which won't work with guests), etc.

Along the same lines, mail sessions are keyed to user identity, and user
identity is independent of the current network topology, while DHCP is
focused on topology identity.

Having said all of that, defining the option could still be useful and the
work should be done. But I wouldn't expect it to be used except in the
minor subset of instances where the above factors coincide with actual
installation considerations.

SMTP option for DHCP may not be entirely useful but SUBMIT option for
DHCP sure sounds to me like something quite useful and network-topology
dependent in many instances.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks