Re: SMTP option for DHCPv6

2005-05-27 08:48:16

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Eric A. Hall wrote:

On 5/27/2005 11:33 AM, william(at)elan.net wrote:

SMTP option for DHCP may not be entirely useful but SUBMIT option for
DHCP sure sounds to me like something quite useful and network-topology
dependent in many instances.

I don't see any other use for it (it's certainly not usable for
mail-routing purposes, given that DHCP isn't intended to be available
beyond a specific topology scope).

So perhaps we should not bother defining SMTP option for DHCPv6 at all
and just go ahead and do it under proper name.

This is not to say that SUBMIT server for particular network can not be located on port 25 as normal SMTP, but that would be up to that network to specify as part of DHCP SUBMIT information.

Same for DHCPv4 if SMTP option is not much used, it should possibly be depreciated and replaced by SUBMIT.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks