Re: SMTP option for DHCPv6

2005-05-27 08:57:42

On 5/27/2005 11:47 AM, william(at)elan.net wrote:

So perhaps we should not bother defining SMTP option for DHCPv6 at all
and just go ahead and do it under proper name.

Same for DHCPv4 if SMTP option is not much used, it should possibly be
depreciated and replaced by SUBMIT.

Well that's fine, and probably appropriate.

But renaming it won't fix any of the problems that I described earlier,
and it certainly won't change the short answer either. I mean, clients
still aren't likely to use it directly (and still won't be able to do so
if the port is locked and bound).

And I hesitate to mention this, but at some point somebody needs to look
at beefing up the algorithm so that it is more than a simple array of
unordered addresses. There should be preference-flagging capabilities,
fall-back ordering, and other such mechanisms which are standardized so
that clients implement them consistently (lack of consistency in
processing means Client-A will come up with a different answer than
Client-B, with the operator having no control). I wouldn't worry about
that with this, but its something that needs to be done if there is going
to be significant effort at reinvigorating this technology.