Re: Compatibility wit Netnews

2007-04-30 17:36:37

Pete Resnick <presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:

I had a look at the USEFOR doc, and given how complicated msg-id syntax
still is, I can't say I'm terribly inclined to start adopting it. If
USEFOR had come to consensus to completely remove the no-fold-quote
construct, I'd be a little more inclined.

Er, the only reason why we didn't do that is for RFC 2822 compatibility.
I sense a deadlock.  :)

NNTP would certainly love to eliminate as many quoting concepts as
possible out of message IDs, and in general any construct that permits the
same message ID to be represented by multiple different octet strings.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>