Re: Compatibility wit Netnews (was I-D ACTION:draft-resnick-2822upd-01.txt)

2007-04-30 17:55:18

Pete Resnick wrote:

I had a look at the USEFOR doc, and given how complicated msg-id
syntax still is, I can't say I'm terribly inclined to start adopting
it. If USEFOR had come to consensus to completely remove the
no-fold-quote construct, I'd be a little more inclined.

USEFOR was forced to determine a maximal subset of 2822-Message-IDs
still working for its purposes, so that's a hen and egg issue.  If
2882upd removes <no-fold-quote> (still covered by "obs" of course)
then USEFOR can also get rid of it, I like the idea.  Syntactically
<no-fold-quote> is also a pain for I-D.ellermann-news-nntp-uri-05

things like the "dot-doubling" worry me

It's only a consequence of how <dot-atom-text> is specified in 2822.
Leading, trailing, or adjacent dots aren't allowed in dot-atom-text,
if folks want them anyway they have to use <no-fold-quote>.

Frank