Re: Compatibility wit Netnews (was I-D ACTION:draft-resnick-2822upd-01.txt)

2007-05-01 10:15:35

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Charles Lindsey wrote:
But if 2822-bis is prepared to go further than that, then it is fine with
me. The only question is whether people ever (or ever need to) use
<quoted-string>s in <msg-id>s. I looked in all the news articles and
emails on my computer and found no example of it, but my sample is far too
small. So has anyone else seen that in the wild?

In a scan of the messages I have lying around, I found only one message whose message-id contained a quote...but it matched the old obs-local-part syntax and not the no-fold-quote syntax!

Declaring no-fold-quote message-ids to be obsolescent seems reasonable to me. Note that all that would need to be done in the ABNF is remove no-fold-quote from the id-left definition, as obs-id-left already covers quoted-string.

(Removing no-fold-literal from the generate syntax is a non-starter, IMHO. Too many messages posted to this very list use them to even pretend that they aren't widely supported and used.)

Philip Guenther