Re: SUMMARY: Limiting msg-id generate syntax

2007-05-08 10:36:30

[Cc'ing our ADs just in case they didn't notice this.]

On 5/8/07 at 8:48 AM -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:

Are we sure that the proposed changes would not require re-cycling RFC2822 at Proposed Standard?

I can't see why. The only real change here is to remove "no-fold-quote" from the "allowed to generate" syntax for message ids. (Of course we still require that they be interpreted.) I think this amounts to "removing an unused/non-interoperable feature", which is a *desirable* thing when moving to Draft.

Pete Resnick wrote:

There appears to be a good contingent that is willing to limit the generate syntax for message id's to dot-atoms on the left of the "@" and domain-name- or domain-literal- looking things on the right. This would not change the *interpret* (obs-) syntax which would still require interpreting quoted-strings on the left. So, scream now or forever hold your peace on the following:

- Define the left hand side of the "@" in msg-id to be (dot-atom-text / ob-id-left) - Leave the right hand side of msg-id as it is (dot-atom-text / no-fold-literal / obs-id-right) - Leave the text to normatively RECOMMEND (or should it be REQUIRE?) that the right hand side be a domain identifier (either domain name or domain literal)

I'd prefer to leave the ABNF of domain-literal the way it is and limit in the text. We've already got examples of having to unlimit Received because of bugs in 2822 and so that fixes in 2821bis could be accommodated; I'd rather leave it to other documents to define what it is to be a valid "domain identifier." (Remember, you've got to interpret all of the mess anyway, so the only thing that putting it into the ABNF would do is reinforce the requirement in the text.)

I'd also be inclined to *not* talk about case-sensitivity and comparisons since nowhere is it discussed in 2822.

pr

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking

--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102