Re: SUMMARY: Limiting msg-id generate syntax

2007-05-08 14:49:32

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
I'd also be inclined to *not* talk about case-sensitivity and comparisons since nowhere is it discussed in 2822.

Agree. I can't even think of a way to count what the running code does.

There are two places it matters: in the copying of message-ids for replies and in the implementation of threading algorithms.

If a MUA generating a reply were to try to 'clean up' the message-ids in the parent that use the obsolete syntax (because it wants its reply to match the generate syntax), then the MUA needs to only strip CFWS and tweak quoting and not get carried away and normalize case too.

On the threading side, well, draft-ietf-imapext-sort-18 says
                   Note: Message ID comparisons are case-sensitive.
so this issue is covered from that angle. Actually testing threading implementations outside of IMAP would be laborious...

Philip Guenther