Re: [ietf-dkim] Mailing lists as 2822-Sender (was: Responsibility vs. Validity)

2007-12-05 13:17:30

At 9:14 AM -0800 12/5/07, Dave Crocker wrote:
Frankly I think [Resent-] should be deprecated, because it causes so much trouble.

Along with From, Sender, and Reply-To.  :-)

I see no straightening out of the tangle we are in regarding all these fields. We keep trying to tweak the rules, tweak compliance, etc, so that we get a system where everybody can conveniently do what they want, and I don't think it's possible.

Frankly, I think we either just give it up and live with it, or define entirely new fields with narrow, specific meanings that enable agents to put together the operations we like.

Eg, deprecate (softly and over time) Sender, and replace with:

Deprecate Reply-To:, and replace with:

Yammer-To-Author:
Yammer-To-List:
Yammer-To-Mother-In-Law-of-Cousin-Of-Mailing-List-Owner:

We have to get very specific about labelling who did what to whom if we hope to have a situation that is satisfying to our sense of the right progression of the universe.

Some of these fields probably would need to be multiple, and even order-maintained. They might need syntax above and beyond what is currently allowed for recipient fields. There would probably be a fair number of them.

But there's so much useless junk flying around in email now, several dozen more addressing fields would hardly be noticed. :-)

My guess is that "living with it" is going to win.