Re: 2822upd-06 submitted

2008-02-12 05:28:59

In <GH3zl9fpebZIJAhAwAEAvw(_dot_)md5(_at_)libertango(_dot_)oryx(_dot_)com> Arnt
Gulbrandsen <arnt(_at_)oryx(_dot_)com> writes:

My position (at the end of a longish offline thread) is that

1. Sending anything other than colon-space is stupid. I know - I used an
MTA that did it for years. People write careless perl scripts to
process mail and colon-tab or just-colon gives those scripts
indigestion.

2. Some people do it (even after careful thought) and 2822-upd is not
the kind of document that should render thoughtful, compliant
implementations non-compliant.

I'd like to see a new document that says "here's what you shouldn't do,
even though 822 and its successors have allowed it for decades, and
even though some people like to do it". (colon-space, multi-address
from, etc.) But such a document has to start at PS. 2822-upd isn't that
document.

Maybe, but that could be a long time a-coming.

Surely it is better to include a non-normative NOTE to cover issues like
this, where one wishes to discourage 'stupid' behaviour (especially where
it might cause interoperability with other protocols), but where there are
good reasons (as here) not to go so far as a SHOULD NOT.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.