Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-07-23 04:55:21

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 11:20 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:
2) Can the semantics of an 'expired' message be agreed and communicated in
a clean, simplistic, non-technical way?

I'm not sure they can be expressed in any way at all... All I can figure
out so far is that the expiry of a message implies it's possibly not
quite as important, urgent or valid to the
sender/recipient/some-other-person as it would have been before it expired.

I'm not sure that's a tight enough definition :)

I think that this is as good as it gets. In a previous email, I wrote:

"it becomes less important after that date because it is somehow
bound to it".

which has the same meaning. We automatically agree on this meaning
because it's obvious, so defining it cleanly shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers,
Michael