Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-07-25 16:08:53

Bill McQuillan wrote:

For example, a conference announcement might contain:

Scheduled: Invitation: 1 Aug 2008 17:00 -0400,
 Warning: 1 Sep 2008 17:00 -0400,
 Event: 8 Sep 2008 08:00 -0400,
 Expires: 12 Sep 2008 16:30 -0400

This could indicate that the invitions must be accepted by end of business
1 Aug, papers are due by end of business 1 Sep, the conference starts at 8
am on 8 Sep and is over at 4:30 pm on the 12th. (One might also infer that
the conference will be held in the US Eastern timezone.)

A MUA could be configured to change the color highlighting of the subject
listing for each of these intervals and perhaps archive or delete it when
the conference is over.

One advantage of this is that I doubt that any backend systems will try to
interpret this field and do something unwanted.

And what if your doubt is wrong?  <g>

People, operators and even vendors in the name of Cooperative Competition will come up with all kinds of automated ideas, especially one where there is a real intent in getting rid of mail declared by the sender as useless. And especially when the user is taking his sweet time getting rid of the storage - received or unreceived.

But I think you are the right track, don't call this "EXPIRE" or any terminology related to "expiration" for the proposed header.

Perhaps it can be:

  Irrelevancy-Date:
  Passe-Date
  Color-me-gray-Date: