Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-07-25 00:50:42

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 11:40 -0700, Bill McQuillan wrote:

[snip]

I suggest something like:

scheduled = "Scheduled:" chron-desc *("," chron-desc)

chron-desc = chron-name ":" date-time

chron-name = "Invitation" |
             "Event" |
             "Vacation" |
             "Deadline" |
             "Warning" |
             "Expires" |
             chron-extension-name

For example, a conference announcement might contain:

Scheduled: Invitation: 1 Aug 2008 17:00 -0400,
 Warning: 1 Sep 2008 17:00 -0400,
 Event: 8 Sep 2008 08:00 -0400,
 Expires: 12 Sep 2008 16:30 -0400

Too much, too complicated.

Earlier in this thread, we discussed whether it would be
realistic to assume that users would be able to properly
use the "expired" feature. Now you propose much more,
with quite complex associated semantics; I can already
imagine the debates that we could be having in this
group about the exact meaning of expires vs. warning vs.
deadline vs. whatever.

I'd really like this to become widespread and truly used,
and if there's any chance for that at all, I firmly believe
that the only way to achieve this is to make it REALLY
simple - easy to implement, and above all easy to
understand for the users.

Cheers,
Michael