Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-07-30 05:31:41

Frank Ellermann wrote:
Keith Moore wrote:

we're better off without a standard Expires header than with one that would have the effect (intended or otherwise) of having such messages be deleted without recipients' consent.

IBTD.  No documented standard with strange variations in syntax in
practice is worse than a clear standard with MUSTs and MUST NOTs.

then we disagree. IMO, it's nearly always a disservice to the Internet community for us to define a standard way to do an undesirable thing.

(I say "nearly" because sometimes a feature is undesirable in general but there are corner cases when it is useful - though I don't think this is the case for "Expires" if that means that the message store or mail transport can delete the message without recipients' consent.)

Keith