Re: On ABNF in 5322: Advice needed

2008-09-29 14:42:37

Tony Finch wrote:
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008, Dave CROCKER wrote:
This means that the presence of angle-brackets will be inconsistent.
Is that really ok?

I understand "rephrase" to mean "adjusting the wording to remove the
ambiguity" which does not imply simply adding angle brackets.

I, too, understood that the result would eliminate contextual ambiguity.

However my point is that the result means "sometimes use angles and sometimes don't, depending upon whether (the author thinks that) ambiguity is a concern.

That type of rule is fine for general prose, but maybe not so good for formal specifications?

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking