RE: [apps-discuss] Comments on Malformed Message BCP draft

2011-04-15 11:55:34

-----Original Message-----
From: apps-discuss-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:apps-discuss-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Alessandro
Vesely
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 7:21 AM
To: ietf-822
Cc: apps-discuss
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Comments on Malformed Message BCP draft

On 15/Apr/11 14:50, Keith Moore wrote:
I'm strongly opposed to MTAs "fixing" malformed messages (other than
submission servers fixing a small number of known problems caused by
broken mail clients).

+1, standardizing fixes implies a standard status for malformed
messages.

The intended status of this document doesn't give any kind of standard status
to malformations.  It recommends the safest way of handling them if you're in
an environment where you have to do so rather than simply rejecting them.  And
the reality is that we (the industry) usually have to do that, so it seems like
a good idea to share the collected wisdom about the best/safest way to do so.

The fact that MTAs will do one thing with, for example, malformed MIME and
browsers/MUAs do something else is a real problem.