RE: [apps-discuss] Comments on Malformed Message BCP draft

2011-04-15 13:08:42

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 10:49 AM
To: dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net
Cc: Dave Cridland; ietf-822; General discussion of application-layer
protocols; Murray S. Kucherawy
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] Comments on Malformed Message BCP draft

I do think there's room for some sort of "if you must do this bad
thing, please do it this way" document series from IETF.

However, I don't think that would be applicable to having third party
mail relays repair malformed messages.  I think that's no longer "best
way to do something that has the potential to do harm" and closer to
"how to make a bad situation worse".

Of course, the devil is in the details.

I don't think this work is targeted at intermediaries.  In fact, I'd be
completely fine with expressly saying it's meant to address processing at
ingress MTAs only.