Re: [apps-discuss] Comments on Malformed Message BCP draft

2011-04-18 14:25:14

ned+ietf-822(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com <ned+ietf-822(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

And it isn't a binary choice between rejection and fixup either. What sort of
fixup makes sense can change over time.

The draft suggests an intermediate option, which is to process the message
using a grammar with more lenient handling of error cases but to pass on
the message unchanged (if it gets passed on). A lot of the risk comes
from doing this (or rather, from doing this inconsistently). I think I'd
like to make a distinction between a relay (which is transparent) and a
security gateway (which does fixups). They should have consistent
behaviour, by which I mean that if a transparent relay is presented with a
corrupt message, it should treat it in the same way as a standard parser
would treat the same message after it has been fixed up by a security
gateway.

Whether a message gets rejected or not is a somewhat different matter. I
think submission servers can and should be a lot stricter than an MX can
be. Either way, every system needs to parse borderline cases more
consistently.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
Rockall, Malin, Hebrides: South 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at first in