Re: [apps-discuss] Comments on Malformed Message BCP draft

2011-04-15 13:01:36

On Fri Apr 15 18:38:50 2011, Keith Moore wrote:
Bouncing is absolutely what should happen if the message is merely malformed. Otherwise, the sender has no idea that his message didn't arrive (or why), and nothing will ever be done to fix the problem.

But the problem is that the message didn't arrive. The reason is that it's malformed, but that's not the problem that people care most about. Now, *we* may care, but that's a wholly different thing, and largely irrelevant to the average user.

Bouncing has problems too - it's trivial to use such a server to bounce malformed MIME back to some other address which then processes the MIME and allows some malware through.

As I said before, differences in error handling behaviour may result in malware vectors being available. If you standardize the error handling (to whatever you like - pass through, bounce, or reject) then the net result is that exploits of this form cannot happen.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net