Re: [ietf-822] WSJ/gmail/ML, was a permission to... (off-topic)

2014-05-06 06:12:44
S Moonesamy wrote:
Hi Miles,
At 18:19 05-05-2014, Miles Fidelman wrote:
I haven't actually dug into the details of how Outlook does things, but... does not RFC5322's series of resent- headers start to provide a direction for standardizing mailing list use of header fields?

I read the relevant text as meaning that the "resent-" headers are added when a message is reintroduced. I prefer to leave it to other people to interpret what that means. There are a few List- headers which have been standardized for mailing lists.

Yes, I understand that.

My contention is that:
1. mailing list software performs a relatively stable, well defined, set of functions (re-distribution, subject tagging, adding headers and footers, etc.), but,
2. those functions are not performed in a standardized way, and,
3. if those functions we're standardized, a lot of things would become easier - including, perhaps, improved interoperation of lists with things like DMARC, better list-aware mail clients

It strikes me that the RFC-5322 resent-headers, which don't seem to be used much, might be a good starting point for such standardization - for a start, by getting past the overloading of the From: header that causes so many problems.

Miles