Re: [ietf-822] WSJ/gmail/ML, was a permission to...

2014-05-04 05:01:08
On Sat 03/May/2014 20:59:06 +0200 Paul Smith wrote:
On 03/05/2014 19:29, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
We need to refine the spec specifically for mailing lists.  I'd love
to read something like:

    A mailing list MUST NOT tamper with the From: field.  Those who do
    that are not mailing lists, and can work their own way out of
    DMARC.

To be pedantic, if I send a message to a list saying:

hello ietf-822 members

and the mailing list sends a message to you saying:

hello ietf-822 members

here

Martin explained the difference between From: and Sender: in:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87507.html

Who is the 'author' of the message? The message you received is NOT
the one I sent.

It seems to me the authored content is the same while a boilerplate
footer was added to explain why the message was resent.

So, I'm not the author, so why am I in the 'From'
field? So, arguably, the From field should be changed. Possibly it
should be changed to:

From: paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk, ietf-822(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

because we both, "collaboratively", wrote the message. However, this
would probably break some mail clients/filters/etc because using
multiple From addresses is not "normal".

Multiple mailboxes in From: should be used when messages are
co-authored by multiple authors.

Ale