Re: [ietf-822] WSJ/gmail/ML, was a permission to...

2014-05-06 12:27:05
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 3:12 AM, Paul Smith <paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
wrote:

On 05/05/2014 07:01, Brandon Long wrote:

Gmail does allow you to use a third party submission server, and it looks
like we may have to encourage its use even more in the future.

We're thinking that as well, or just stopping forwarding services at all.

The problem with forwarders using third party services' submission servers
is that the user would need to give out their login details - which is a
big issue. Maybe users should be able to create extra sets of
authentication details for their submission servers, but ONLY for mail
going to their own email addresses, for forwarding servers to use. These
could still let the messages be blocked by a spam filter, but would let the
receiving server know that the messages are coming from a forwarding
server, so (a) the forwarding server's reputation should not be affected by
spam from there, and (b) some checks like DKIM might have to be
ignored/loosened.

I suppose that a scheme like this could potentially be extended to mailing
lists - when you subscribe, you give authentication details as well as an
email address.

I wasn't talking about forwarding or mailing list through MSA, I was
talking about sending from one service through another (ie, if you use
Gmail as your "client" to access your Yahoo account, you can set it up to
use pop/smtp-msa just like any non-web client).

Trying to use submission servers for forwarding/mailing lists... I don't
think that would be fun.  You'd be better off fetching messages with pop
instead of forwarding.

Brandon