Re: [ietf-822] Encoding (Re: 😟 Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt)

2020-10-05 22:19:53
Make it a MIME word with the usual base64 or QP encoding, like the
subject line of the message you just sent. As far as I can tell, only
Unicode has an interesting repertoire of emoji so you could say that
they must be encoded UTF-8.

1. "MIME Word" is a term I don't know.  It doesn't make obvious sense to me.

Sorry, MIME encoded-word.  See RFC 2047 for details.

2. MIME doesn't apply to header fields, such as Subject:

That's how you put Chinese and emoji in the subject field in non-EAI Mail. Again, see RFC 2047. For example, the actual subject line of your message to which this is a reply was:

Subject: =?UTF-8?B?UmU6IFtpZXRmLTgyMl0gRW5jb2RpbmcgKFJlOiDwn5ifIFJlOiBGd2Q6?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?_New_Version_Notification_for_draft-crocker-inreply-react-00=2etx?=
 =?UTF-8?Q?t=29?=

3. I wasn't kidding about asking for text. I mean exact text. This is not a sandbox I've played in or even studied in detail and the text needs to be written by someone who has and does.

Well, Keith wrote RFC 2047, so he knows more about this than I do, but I think that saying that it's a MIME encoded-word like the unstructured text in any other header should do the trick.

Regards,