Re: [ietf-822] Encoding (Re: p^_^X^_ Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt)

2020-10-05 22:58:23
On Mon, 05 Oct 2020 11:56:14 -0700, Dave Crocker said:

As a few postings have demonstrated with emoticons in this thread, it's
clear that at least some MUAs (or MSAs or MTAs?) are already able to
take 'raw' Unicode and pass it successfully to recipient MUAs.

Only if the entire path is sufficiently 8-bit clean. Somewhere between
ietf.org's
mail server, google, and fetchmail to my laptop the emoji got smashed into
a lower case 'p' followed by a 0x1f181f, almost certainly due to something
not being totally 8-bit-clean.

So we're still a *long* way from saying "just send 8 bit"

IME it keeps dropping, but never goes entirely clean.

Still since there's been concern about encoding raised, I'll ask for
suggested text to include in the draft.

Anything along the line of "if you don't have an 8-bit clean path, you
need to use rfc2047 to encode the utf-8" is fine by me.

+1

                                Ned