Re: [ietf-822] Encoding (Re: p Re: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-00.txt)

2020-10-06 00:01:11
On 05 Oct 2020 23:19:39 -0400, "John R Levine" said:

Well, Keith wrote RFC 2047, so he knows more about this than I do, but I
think that saying that it's a MIME encoded-word like the unstructured
text in any other header should do the trick.

That fixes the encoding issue, and did we decide to punt on what to do
with a "reaction" that consists of a emoji and a short text, like ":) I'm on
it!"?

On one hand, that introduces length issues, but on the other hand, I don't know
how to write RFC-ese for "allow more than one emoji" without allowing that
sort of reply as well.  Any MIME-aware MSA or MTA should Just Work if the
header has 'MIME encoded-word' in it, so maybe just a "an MUA MAY truncate
the display of excessively long reactions" may be sufficient?

(Actually, if the final version says it's an encoded-word, and include the "MUA
MAY
truncate", I'm pretty sure that addresses all of my concerns...)