Re: [ietf-822] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-crocker-inreply-react-03.txt

2020-10-23 10:56:17
>> 1. There will be users who won't care about emoji reactions and will be
>> annoyed by them.

For any action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.  In this case
that means doing anything is certain to result in someone, somewhere
being unhappy about the action.  Ultimately, this is a user-to-user
issue, not something to fix in the software...

>  Being able to filter out messages by header-field is a
>> fairly common feature of email clients.

Yes, but it's one of many features that average users do not know about
and have no motivation to learn.

It occurs to me that the best solution for such users is to use a
reaction-enabled client and disable display of reactions.

I agree that asking such users to configure elaborate filters in their email
client in order to be able to avoid seeing reactions, regardless of the
specifics, is asking much too much.

Of course nothing here prevents the use of emojis in regular message content,
although adoption of this mechanism might reduce their use a bit. So this isn't
going to satisfy the true emojiphobic - and yes, such people do exist...

                                Ned