Re: [Asrg] Multiple Suggestions

2003-03-05 14:29:48
oh, they'd be happy to let me send to port 25 if I paid them
$300/month. mainly it's a bad precedent.

---------- Ok.. then we can agree that this is not a show stopper.

if would be a show stopper if this group tried to recommend it.
as it is, I don't see this group doing anything that specific,
much less that stupid, so I'm not worried about it.

---------- By getting rid of John Q. Public spammers allows for the
drastic reduction in spam.

no it doesn't.  it just means the spam comes from DMA members.
the signal to noise ratio of email will still suck.

But, I would be happy if I reduced all my spam to
only one type of hand soap rather that 3,000.

it's not at all clear to me that 3000 ads for 3000 different products is
better than 3000 ads for 10 different products.  the latter are easier
to filter.

it's also perfectly legitimate to originate mail from a dialup line,
without relaying through some third party's server.

----------- This one requires the most thought. I am not sure that my
idea of sending to the "home" server for relay is a good idea because
how does the home server authenticate the relayed email?

SMTP authentication is already defined.  the point is that it's not
always appropriate to impose this burden.

--- Keith, my ideas are my own and in no way reflect the position of
my employer.

nor did I say that they did.

------------ I apologize if I misunderstood. :-)

good.  now since these ideas are your own, and you're not speaking for
your employer, you might want to get rid of that obnoxious disclaimer -
that incidentally violates IETF rules (though to be fair I'm not sure
whether IETF rules apply to an IRTF WG):

or does your ISP force you to use a relay that appends this garbage?

"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary,
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
sender and delete the material from all computers."

Keith