Re: [Asrg] Do we need to do anything?

2003-03-06 12:49:01
In <200303061128(_dot_)59077(_dot_)james(_dot_)mcininch(_at_)attbi(_dot_)com>
James McIninch <james(_dot_)mcininch(_at_)attbi(_dot_)com> writes:

In the world of e-mail, we could leave SMTP and the MTAs entirely untouched
and provide a simple service that handles account aliasing (mail forwarding).
It would work like this -- I'm going to give an e-mail address out, perhaps
to someone I don't trust. My MUA asks a forwarding service for a randomly
generated address to be mapped to my true e-mail address for either 1.) a
specific time period, or 2.) until I ask for it to be revoked.

This sounds a heck of a lot like http://sneakemail.com/

There are other similar systems out there.  People use them and they
seem to work.

However, I don't think this kind of thing is a good solution.
Enough spammers continue to spam long after an account has been
deactivated that systems like sneakemail will experiences an ever
increasing ratio of spam to valid email.  People will also still have
to deal with switching email addresses.

-wayne