Re: [Asrg] Locked addresses (was Do we need to do anything?

2003-03-07 16:31:01
At 3:44 PM -0500 3/7/03, David F. Skoll wrote:
It's not N-factorial; where did you come up with that?  It's
N-squared.

Sorry.  Up too late last night.

 > So now not only am I tied to my ISPs whim for an email address
 (mediaone last year, attbi last month, comcast today), I'm also tied
 to them because if I go to another ISP I'm unable to send email to
 any of my contacts.

No.  When you send mail to your contacts, you'll need to use their
public challenge-response address to revalidate yourself.

This is a pain, no doubt.  There's no pain-free way to end spam that I
can see.

True. But this doesn't come close to ending spam. All spam ends up having to be filtered by a system that tells you which messages in your challenge-response queue should be looked at. Why go to all this hassle if you're going to have to filter anyway? Yes, it's easier to filter, yes you can look less often. On the other hand, with all these email addresses, you're going to have a lot more spam there.

 > You've got an interesting protocol problem for initial contacts
 between two people.

No, not really.  Like I said, you have an initial challenge-response
contact address for the first contact.  You need to make the challenge
easy to solve by a human, but hard for an automated process.

It's more than just challenge response, there's a multi-step process going back and forth. If I send you mail initially with a throw-away address then you have't a clue whether "Kee Hinckley" <xasdfadf(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> is really the person you were talking to at the conference yesterday. So I have to send you email with my bizcard address in the from so you recognize it, and then you have to reply with your throw-away, and then I need to reply with my throw-away.

 > 6. Finally we can talk.  But only if I use my server. And if I ever
 go anywhere else I can no longer communicate with you.

Yes, you can, via dfs-bizcard.

So I actually need to keep *two* addresses in my address book for every person, and be careful only to use the correct one? Or are you assuming that the server will remap the To: address as well? I suppose it might as well.

 > I think having an address book that is so complex that only a server
 > can manage it is a bad idea.

Lots of people already do that.  LDAP, anyone?

Nope. LDAP is a static directory. I can always download it to my desktop. This address book is algorithmically driven.

Look. From a technical perspective you're proposing something very cool with lots of flexibility and neat possibilities. It's got lots of power. You've even convinced me that it could be done.

But the average user isn't going to understand it at all. Never mind that they don't need any of the side benefits. There is no incentive for creating the infrastructure required for such a system. It makes dealing with new people and new addresses much harder than it currently is in email or any other medium. We've got people hear yelling at someone whose challenge response is simply a "reply", but you're proposing a complicated back and forth combined with a Turing test.

If we want a system to be deployed for end-user use, it's got to pass the elevator test. That's the standard VC test for a concept. You've got to be able to explain it to someone during an elevator ride. I don't see that with any system described so far. That's why I'm convinced that the initial solution has to be a simple modification to the MTA, with later migration to the MUA. *Static* directory services still haven't taken off, I don't think dynamic ones are going to have any more success.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.