Re: [Asrg] Locked addresses (was Do we need to do anything?

2003-03-07 11:06:44
At 9:22 AM -0500 3/7/03, David F. Skoll wrote:
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

 You then describe an incredibly complex scheme whereby I am unable to
 send anyone email unless I have with me a piece of software which
 knows where I am, how I am currently able to communicate with
 everyone, and which address is appropriate to use under the current
 circumstances.

It is not incredibly complex; many people have already implemented bits of it.

That sounds more like support of my claim than a rebuttal.  :-)

As I stated, it requires *NO* MUA changes.  All of the work can be done on
the server.  It does require that you relay outgoing mail through the same
server all of the time; that's why we have STARTTLS and SMTP AUTH.

You didn't address any of my examples.

Again. My mother is standing at the email kiosk in an airport. She wants to send email to you. You've authorized one of her temporary email messages to send email to one of your temporary email messages. Now what?

 > It makes it virtually impossible to even manage
 > addresses on *paper*, let alone in my head.

Your server keeps track of everything.

Address book. Somebody needs to keep track of what email address can send to what email address. This is typically an address book. How does this get implemented without the use of MUA changes? Even assuming that I always use the same computer, I don't see it.

Feel free to take this offlist if you think I'm being incredible obtuse.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.