Re: [Asrg] Locked addresses (was Do we need to do anything?

2003-03-07 14:02:03
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

I see.  You're saying that she sends email via her mail server (using
some authentication mechanism to be specified by the server).  And
that mail server retains an N-factorial list of possible email

It's not N-factorial; where did you come up with that?  It's
N-squared.

So now not only am I tied to my ISPs whim for an email address
(mediaone last year, attbi last month, comcast today), I'm also tied
to them because if I go to another ISP I'm unable to send email to
any of my contacts.

No.  When you send mail to your contacts, you'll need to use their
public challenge-response address to revalidate yourself.

This is a pain, no doubt.  There's no pain-free way to end spam that I
can see.

You've got an interesting protocol problem for initial contacts
between two people.

No, not really.  Like I said, you have an initial challenge-response
contact address for the first contact.  You need to make the challenge
easy to solve by a human, but hard for an automated process.

6. Finally we can talk.  But only if I use my server. And if I ever
go anywhere else I can no longer communicate with you.

Yes, you can, via dfs-bizcard.

I think having an address book that is so complex that only a server
can manage it is a bad idea.

Lots of people already do that.  LDAP, anyone?

--
David.