Re: [Asrg] Locked addresses (was Do we need to do anything?

2003-03-07 16:36:52
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

True.  But this doesn't come close to ending spam.  All spam ends up
having to be filtered by a system that tells you which messages in
your challenge-response queue should be looked at.

You don't look at that queue at all.  It's managed automatically; anything
that stays in the queue more than a few days without getting a response
is discarded.

If I send you mail initially with a throw-away address then you
have't a clue whether "Kee Hinckley" <xasdfadf(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> is
really the person you were talking to at the conference yesterday.

Sure I do.  I remember you by your name, not your email address.

So I actually need to keep *two* addresses in my address book for
every person, and be careful only to use the correct one?

Not necessarily.  If an email comes in for a throwaway address from
the wrong person, it could just issue a challenge.  So the only time
you need to update your address book is if you're changing ISP's.

But the average user isn't going to understand it at all.

That's the problem.  It has to be implemented in a way that makes
it easy to use.  This is a long-term research group, right? :-)

--
David.