Re: [Asrg] Economic model is borken. (sic.) Let's fix it

2003-03-07 17:14:58
On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Troy Rollo wrote:

At 13:08 7/03/03 -0800, Nate W wrote:
This may be optimistic, but I don't think spammers will adapt to
widespread whitelisting.  They'll try, but they'll fail.  Maintaining
"Millions" CDs of address pairs (recipient and a whitelisted sender known
to work for that recipient) is a big job.

1. That's not the only way to adapt to whitelisting.

If you've got a more worrisome idea I'm all ears.  I did read the document
you referenced and did not see anything to be very concerned about.

Some of the "problems" listed there were not very well thought out.  For
example, the "problem" of establishing initial communication between two
whitelisted individuals, subscribing to mailing lists, etc.  The author
seems to have assumed that non-approved messages are lost forever.

2. This ignores the damage done by whitelisting.

Yes, because you snipped the bit that didn't.  I acknowledge (for the Nth
time) that there are costs to whitelisting.  However I believe the cost to
be smaller than the benefit.  Not perfect, but I find it a big
improvement, at least until something better comes along.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA