Re: [Asrg] Let's try something different

2003-03-08 10:30:04
Chris said:

#Consider this, then, if _every_ mail system made use of open proxy
#blacklists, and every mail system utilized a reasonably sane method of
#back-notifying legit senders from these IPs of the blacklisting. [Hence,
#for example, my posting of points for a BCP on filtering.]
#
#Result?  Senders get their systems fixed ASAP, and things get delisted
#in a timely fashion.  The FPs have been resolved.  Virtually no harm
#done. The only ones left open are the ones not sending any legit email,
#just spam.  Better accuracy.  Fewer spam sources.

This is precisely what's needed, and much like the stategy that the IRC
folks adopted, except that they tend to take it a step further: rather
than just checking existing open proxy lists, they actively scan connecting
hosts for common open proxy ports at connect time, and feed positive hits
back to the blacklist.

But regardless of whether you simply consult an existing list, or actively
check each connecting host at connection time, I agree that this is a key
step.

Regards,

Joe