Re: [Asrg] Let's try something different

2003-03-08 11:21:08
At 10:38 AM -0500 3/8/03, Chris Lewis wrote:
The hugely critical thing is how you handle false positives.  Do you
just sigh, and say "blacklists are STUPID!!!" and turn them off, or do
you take a broader view and get the open proxy fixed? It's not as if a
given FP is something you can't do something about.

I used to spend time tracking down that kind of thing. The volume exceeded what I could deal with years ago. But more critically, now that I'm running a service, I simply cannot afford it. Do the math on what someone pays to have their email spam-free, and then compare that to the amount of time it takes to track down and complain about proxies. No can do. I'd far rather spend my time here trying to fix the problem for once and for all than run around sticking my fingers in dikes. You can afford to do it for two reasons. One, you're relatively large. Two, your salary isn't being paid *just* by spam filtering income--you're subsidized.

A FP or two?  So what?  If you're doing it right, the worst that happens
is that the email is delayed a bit.

This is a common misconception. "False positives aren't a problem, they just go into a queue that people can check." Technically, it's true. Practically, it doesn't work.

I've got bad news for you. People don't check the queues. Oh sure, our technical users do. They understand fuzzy matching, they know that this kind of technology isn't 100% reliable. Our non-technical users don't, and furthermore, when they do look at them, they delete them without scanning them all. The longer they use the system, the less carefully they check. And the problem gets worse. The better your filtering gets, the less likely the user is to scan the queue. In other words, the lower the false positive rate, the more likely the end user is to delete the false positive without seeing it.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.