Re: [Asrg] Let's try something different

2003-03-07 14:44:57
Brad Davis wrote:

Jed Margolin wrote:
1. Sender's email is stored on Sender's server. Recipient is sent a
message
with a unique link to the message and a maximum Subject line of 80
alphanumeric characters.

As has been pointed out, spammers are already going down this path with
HTML
encoded email.

The HTML encoded spam I receive uses bandwidth *and* links.

2. Sender can be anonymous, but not to Sender's ISP. There will be a
feature
(a button) so Recipient can tell Sender's ISP, "Don't send me any
further
email from this Sender."

3. Broadcasting is prohibited. If Sender wishes to send 1 million
identical
messages, then Sender's server will contain 1 million copies of the
message.

4. Sender's ISP will be notified if (and when) the email has been read
so it
can be deleted from Sender's server. Alternatively, email can be deleted
from Sender's server at the end of the day (or week) that it is read.

These are useless since the spamming software (and often the spamming
machine)
is controlled by the spammer.  (Some of the most "interesting" spam I've
received is for software to do spamming from a Windows PC without the need
for
an ISP mail server (complete with a list of open SMTP relays and other
open
proxies to use)).

Why would someone leave their SMTP relay open?

Solutions must assume that the other side (the spam server) is totally
under
control of spammers, that the other software was completely written by and
for
spammers, that the other ISP supports spamming (it can be lucrative for
the
ISP), and that the ISP's connection to the backbone is supportive of
spamming
(spamming may provide needed hard cash for poor 3rd world nations).

Traffic from ISPs who refuse to play by the rules will be refused by the
Internet Community.

In other words, they will be excommunicated.

JM