Re: [Asrg] Let's try something different

2003-03-08 10:02:32
Matt Sergeant wrote:

I like DNS blacklists, I really do. I think they're the right thing to do most of the time, when they are sane lists. My one big problem with them is bounce messages - they suck. We need a friendlier bounce message system than "MAILER-DAEMON" messages so my mum can understand why her email didn't get through.

This is in fact the biggest problem in handling FPs - making the return email legible enough so that the user understands what it means.

Our rejection messages are pretty explicit: "this email was blocked by our spam filters. If you believe this to be in error, please forward this message, including session ID, to <whitelistedaddress>, sessionID: 123244.4444"

Three problems:

1) A few MTAs manage not to show these messages to the sender AT ALL. They just get a generic "it didn't work".

2) Many MTAs bury these strings so deep in bafflegab about NDRs/X.400 gunk and other sillyness (like listing each MX and retry in excrutiatingly useless detail), that it's very easy to miss the message.

3) Language.

Here's an idea: extend RFC2821 to mandate a series of response codes that MTAs can interpret and display to the senders.

Eg, some sort of SMTP policy return error:

55x <RFC2821 extended code> <policyflag> <how to get it fixed>

Ie:

554 a.b.c NOUBE MAIL fp_handling(_at_)foo(_dot_)bar

or:

554 a.b.c NOUBE URL http://ourblacklist.foo.bar/lookup?ip=A.A.A.A

or:

554 a.b.c SENDERPAYS POSTAGE http://postoffice.bar.foop/?session=<magic cookie>

Then the sending MTA has a chance to generate a much more intelligible reject - ie: couch it in the user's own language, etc.

If we can push to make FPs less painful, then filtering becomes more palatable with less collateral damage.

If this is standardized in an RFC, you could use it right away (it could often be explanatory enough without any MTA support on the sender's side) and MTAs fully understanding the return codes will get more common with time.