Re: [Asrg] Stamps

2003-03-07 14:42:31
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Keith Moore wrote:

As for challenge/response schemes, they're fine for people who want to
use them.  But I find them so annoying (even with whitelists) that I'm
unlikely to impose them on people who send me mail.  Maybe if we could
automate them somehow so that users didn't have to deal with them
directly, they wouldn't be so annoying.

That's a bit of a double-edge sword, since if you can automate them, the
spammers can automate them.

On the other hand, I think the odds are low that a spammer can maintain a
return address that actually functions long enough to reply to a
significant number of whitelist confirmations.  Not to mention that the
reward for accomplishing such is getting exactly one bit of spam through
to a user; once it arrives, the user is likely to blacklist the newly
whitelisted address.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA