Re: [Asrg] Stamps

2003-03-07 11:26:36
At 13:05 -0500 3/7/03, David Jameson wrote:
I don't think this is necessarily true. The proposal was that the cost be negligible for "normal" emails and it's only when one tries to send hundreds of thousands out that it becomes "real money". It would not affect the average person at all. As for the claim that people will have the right to send it - that's absolutely true. And we will still need to have mechanisms in place to detect unsolicited mail. A whitelist with challenge/response is very effective for this.

Various techniques have been proposed for "raising the cost of high volumes of mail"

A problem that invariably arises is that there is no clear means to distinguish a high-volume site with many users (e.g. hotmail) from a high-volume sender that's spamming. All handlers of high volumes of mail are penalized equally... the fundamental cost of doing business increases across the board, and this does not create the desired imbalance...