re: [Asrg] Why content filters are inacceptable

2003-03-08 11:36:36
I don't have anything to add to this, except to say I agree.

Mostly, I wanted to mention that it was snagged and filed away by a content filter on my server and never reached my in-box :) How many others never saw the message? (the snip below is truncated before the appearance of the troublesome words)

- jim

From: Hadmut Danisch <hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de>
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: [Asrg] Why content filters are inacceptable
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 18:18:42 +0100

One of the principles to stop spam discussed so far are
content filters, i. e. filtes which basically ignore the
SMTP connection and the header, and focus on the body of the
message (and maybe the Subject header line).

I'd like to point out why such systems are inacceptable and
a severe threat to privacy and freedom of speech.

To do so, let me distinguish between two fundamental types of
such filters: Those which need to reveal any kind of information about
the message to be analyzed (e.g. the full message or just a
hash value) to a third party, and those which don't (but download
some kind of pattern set from a third party).