Re: [Asrg] Lets Fix Mailing Lists

2003-03-09 18:23:51
From: Erez Zadok <ezk(_at_)cs(_dot_)sunysb(_dot_)edu>

and legitimate addresses.  (For example, if your challenges are
substantially identical or bulk, then they are likely to be rejected
by spam filters like the DCC and Pyzor/Razor.)

The challenges are not too similar.  They use a checksum to correlate their
original message w/ the response to the challenge.

That sounds "substantially identical" as far as the DCC and presumably
Pyzor/Razor see it.  Contrast your checksum with the "hashbusters"
common in spam.

I've read some articles in popular media that claim that over 50% of all
email is spam.  While I believe, from personal experience, that >99% of spam
is forged, I don't believe (again from personal experience), that 50% of all
email is spam.  All these anecdotal or personal results are not enough.

As I think I've said here before, numbers from some of the servers in
the global network of DCC servers say that more than 50% of all email
is spam.  See http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/graphs/?resol=1week and
especially http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/graphs/comp-rates?resol=1week
Notice that those numbers are based on 10 Mmsgs/day.  The spam ratio
varies from <10% during the week for the surveyed government sites to
about 80% on weekends for some U.S. ISPs.

See also the charts on http://www.postini.com/