Re: [Asrg] Lets Fix Mailing Lists

2003-03-09 18:25:46
On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 14:48:56 EST, Alan DeKok <aland(_at_)freeradius(_dot_)org>
said:

  It's not just a few domains, either.  Look at the reports on this
list of people re-activating domains after 3 years, and immediately
receiving 10K or 100K spams.  There is *no* way that any legitimate
business would be sending that much mail to addresses which don't
exist, and *never* clean out bounces.

When I decomissioned our bitnet-internet gateway, the Saudi Arabian bitnet
nodes had already been off bitnet for close to 18 months, so ALL mail to those
nodes got bounced.  Some 90% of the traffic still using the gateway at the
time was a mailing list sending to 5 Saudi subscribers.  The mailing list
had been getting back well over 200 bounce messages a *DAY* for a year and
a half and not cleaned up.  And yes, I tried the list owner and postmaster
addresses as well.  I didn't even get any joy mailing to the WHOIS contacts
for the domain.

I won't identify the offending site other than to say that they probably
should have known better, as one of their research groups are mentioned
in some RFC's with single digits. ;)