Re: [Asrg] Re: Spam is a security problem

2003-03-16 18:30:03
At 03:39 PM 3/16/2003 -0500, Kee Hinckley wrote:
Okay.  A practical question.

Let's say I extract from my logs a list of IP addresses that are attempting to relay through my server.

1. There is no way I'm going to set up a relay tarpit. I'm already bouncing one message every two seconds--I can't handle any additional hits on my bandwidth. It's been doubling every year since '96.

OK. Do what makes sense for you. I used to emphasize trapping spam, now I concentrate on passively capturing relay tests (although I did deliver some to one particular tester just to see what he spams. Its' a MMF scheme and some "MEet Russian Women" crap.) I also delivered one for someone I'm told now sells lists of open relays to spammers.

2. But I'd be happy to auto-report those relay attempts. Do you have tools to do that?

No, I don't.

Are they safe (e.g. no more than N reports about the same IP address in a certain amount of time, consolidate multiple IP reports to the same report address)? How do I keep from auto-reporting my own users when they forget to authenticate, or when they are using pop-before-smtp and the authentication has timed out?

Keep in mind that there are always border cases. For instance 194.100.84.20 tries to relay through me (always to anssi(_dot_)karhu(_at_)skynetworks(_dot_)fi) a thousand times or more a day. How do you auto-determine who owns that IP? The reverse DNS lookup doesn't match.

I favor a conservative approach: if in doubt do whatever is least likely to cause any harm. If you have doubts about a relay attempt then you could either not report it or you could tell the ISP you rejected the attempt but you don't know the nature of the email you rejected - t could be spam related.

It would seem worth your time to try to track down what is going on with 194.100.84.20 - that's a lot of attempts.

Another option would be a central location that accepts reports of attempted relay and correlates them. Many relay tests now come through open proxies, I think some destinations are false and that the tester actually relies on the bounces rather than on delivery (the destination is a particularly vulgar: <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=Xns93068404FFFF8someuser999nwsupcom%40192.168.1.6>

Cripes - that was 2 months ago.

Keep in mind that this is the ASRG mailing list of the IETF. It is my impression that the goal is to seek effective ways to combat spam, the E in the parent group's name makes me think it is to be engineered. There's plenty of opportunity in taking the approach I suggest, I do not suggest simply doing what I do.

There could be alternative IETF recommendations: a really good blocklist, suitable for even large ISPs (like AOL, although I doubt AOL would ever trust any list from outside unless it's use is completely voluntary on the part of the user.)

It's my impression that the desire is to move, as opposed to remain static. I'm for that, I put forth my suggestion, I can see it might be chosen as the basis for further and wider action. This is not (I hope) a place to have religious wars about which approach is best, it's a place for the planning of effective action.

Spam is a strange crime (insofar as it is a crime, and I don't mean to trigger discussion on that question.) In principle every step taken by a relay spammer can be fully logged, once it is known where he connects to the internet. All the spam that originates on a major ISPs network could be monitored, if it is determined to be a crime somewhere and if the proper search warrant is issued. That's an important consideration but the point I wish to make is that spammers are able to operate secretly largely because people who could watch them don't. I believe that watching them is worth doing, in particular watching their abuse attempts.